What do you do when your reality implodes? You change the world. That’s what then 20-year-old Allison Evans set out to do after realizing that the debilitating health problems she was experiencing were the result of exposures to toxic chemicals. The company she later co-founded, Branch Basics, manufactures an amazingly effective soap that you dilute to different consistencies to tackle every cleaning job in your house—from laundry and dishes to windows and floors. Created with a proprietary blend of plant enzymes, this stuff is safe enough to (accidentally) drink—but serious enough to eliminate tough dirt and stains. Amazing!
For years, I’ve been helping people detox their homes by getting toxic chemicals out of the picture. We’ve talked about eliminating pesticides, switching over to better laundry products, taking off your shoes at the door to reduce lead, dirt and pesticides by 85% and getting toxic chemicals out of your cleaning cabinets. As I shared earlier this month, in my hunt for truly cleaner cleaning products, I discovered ZerorezSoCal, which cleans carpets, upholstery, tile and grout using a special kind of patented water that’s high pH and so pure you can drink it. And I did, of course.
Did you get the message about pinkwashing? It should be pretty clear by now that manufacturers who use carcinogenic chemicals can’t get away with it by slapping pretty pink ribbons on their products. But I do love discovering companies that are doing the right thing by creating products without toxic chemicals—and walking the talk by supporting breast cancer research. Take Bona®, for example. A world leader in hardwood floor care and maintenance for nearly 100 years, the Swedish based company relies on effective formulas that have been certified—by organizations like GREEN GUARD, among others—to create truly non-toxic cleaners. And now they’re supporting the fight against breast cancer, too.
When I was a kid, I knew the house was clean because it smelled like fake lemons and pine. But it may not have been as clean as my family thought: The EPA estimates that the air inside our homes can be as more polluted than the air outside, in part because of chemical cleaning products. Indoor air pollution can lead to serious health problems like allergies and asthma; childhood asthma rates are now at epidemic levels, with more than seven million children affected, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That’s one in 10 kids. So I’ve spent the last few years replacing those familiar from childhood with green cleaning…